This recipe tip accompanied an article written by Kayla Colgrove, MS, RDN, ACSM-CPT, Extension Educator, Nebraska Extension in Lancaster County, entitled “Happy, Healthy Halloween”, September 2018 NEBLINE
HALLOWEEN FRUIT PARFAITS
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple tidbits in 100% juice, drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces) mandarin oranges in water, no sugar added, drained
- 2 cups nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt
- 6 pieces candy corn
- Drain pineapple tidbits and mandarin oranges.
- Layer 1/3 cup pineapple tidbits, 1/3 cup mandarin oranges and 1/3 cup yogurt in each of the 6 clear plastic cups 9 ounces).
- Keep parfaits in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Garnish with a piece of candy corn right before serving.
• Select fruit canned in 100% fruit juice or water rather than syrup when choosing canned fruits.
• Try fresh fruit in place of canned fruit.
• Swap out any yellow and orange fruit you like best such as using peaches or cantaloupe for mandarin oranges.
Nutrition Information per serving (1 parfait) — nutrition information will change if substitutions are used: Calories 157, Total Fat 0g, Saturated Fat 0g, Cholesterol 1.7mg, Sodium 37mg, Total Carbohydrate 31.5g, Dietary Fiber 1.3g, Sugars 24.1g, Protein 7.7g
You’ll find this helpful recipe and more in the September 2018 issue of the NEBLINE Newsletter. Available free online.
If you don’t live in Lancaster County, Nebraska, please make sure to check out your local extension office too. Your extension office has resources for you, your family and community. To find your local office, visit http://lancaster.unl.edu/office/locate.shtml (nationwide listing).
Have a great day!!
Responsive. Innovative. Trusted.
Nebraska Extension provides research-based information to help you make informed decisions any time, any place, anywhere –