The 2016 Lancaster County Super Fair begins in Lincoln, Nebraska. We want to wish our 4-H youth, their families, our volunteers and staff the best of luck as they participate in this amazing community event. While you are visiting the fair, please be sure to ask our 4-H exhibitors questions about their projects. Many love to share and answer any questions you might have.
- 4-H & FFA Exhibits & Events – August 4-7
- 4-H Horse Shows – August 1-7
- Entire Super Fair – August 4-13
- We’re livestreaming some of the 4-H Events on YouTube/Google Hangouts, Periscope and Facebook Live. Livestreaming Schedule.
- Location: Lancaster Event Center in Lincoln, Nebraska (Fairground map)
- Fair Schedule: Daily Attractions, Special Events & Exhibits
- Download the Free App – Your Guide to the Super Fair
- #4hSuperFair: If you are on social media, please use #4hSuperFair so we can follow you too!
Visiting Animal Areas – Safety Tips
For many families, visiting the animal areas is one of the highlights at a county or state fair. Do you plan to visit the animal areas? It’s always a good idea to review safety tips with the entire family before entering those areas.
Keep your distance when walking or pushing a stroller or pulling a wagon behind animals. Avoid getting behind the back legs of horses, cows and other livestock. A sudden kick or a swat of a tail can happen quickly. Give exhibitors plenty of room as they walk animals from one area to another.
They may startle. Animals have sensitive hearing and may startle. Remember to give them plenty of space. Mute your phone and walk quietly around the animals. Hold hands with young children and remind them not to run or jump near the animals.
“I bite”. The rabbits may look cute in their cages but even cute bunnies may bite. Resist the urge to reach your hands into any cages or pens. Keep an eye on small children who can move quickly. If there is a 4-H or FFA exhibitor nearby, they may hold their small animals so your child can touch it. Be sure to ask.
People food is for people. Sharing food and drinks with animals can create cross-contamination and make animals sick.
And as always, wash your hands thoroughly and often when visiting the fair.
- Animal Safety Tips Resource: Stay Safe and Smart at Summer Fairs
- Biosecurity: Protecting Your Health & the Health of Your Animals
Have a great day and enjoy your local county and state fairs!
Responsive. Innovative. Trusted.
Nebraska Extension provides research-based information to help you make informed decisions any time, any place, anywhere – http://lancaster.unl.edu
If you don’t live in Lancaster County, Nebraska, please make sure to check out your local extension office too. Your extension office has resources for you, your family and community. To find your local office, visit http://lancaster.unl.edu/office/locate.shtml (nationwide listing).