Whether you are mowing a small lawn in the city, or using a mower on the farm – here are some important safety tips for the entire family.
Although smaller in size than most farm equipment, lawn mowers can be just as dangerous. The moving blades, operating engine, and potential for flying debris make lawn mowers dangerous if not used cautiously and with respect.
Before assigning the task of mowing the yard, consider the youth’s physical and cognitive ability. The youth should:
- Be able to reach the controls without moving from the seat of a riding mower
- Have the strength to use a push mower
- Be trained in the safe operation of the mower, including observing an adult
Help make lawn mowing a rewarding and safe chore for children:
- Explain the dangers of flying objects: Encourage them to pick up debris before mowing
- Provide and encourage the use of personal protective equipment: eye and ear protection, long pants, sturdy shoes
- Teach youth to mow across slopes when using a push mower
- Mow up and down slopes when on…
View original post 98 more words