Some people encounter “bites,” itching, or skin irritations thought to be caused by insects but no insects can be identified. These are tough situations and I have a great deal of empathy for people desperately trying to identify the causes.
Illusory parasitosis is one name used to describe bite-like symptoms caused by non-animal environmental factors. There is a long list of potential causes for “biting” sensations or skin irritation not caused by insects. The cause may be physical, physiological, psychological or combinations of these factors.
Physical factors may include dry air; static electricity; household or personal products like disinfectants, detergents, cosmetics, or jewelry. Environmental pollutants also may cause skin irritation. These pollutants include microscopic fibers like fiberglass or paper splinters. In addition, indoor air pollution can cause “sick or tight-building syndrome.” Other factors, like allergies and changes in our skin and general health as we age can cause bite-like symptoms. Continue reading
The March issue of The NEBLINE newsletter is now on-line. Here are some of the articles featured in this issue – – – – Visit http://lancaster.unl.edu/nebline and click on the link to the March 2015 NEBLINE!
- 4-H Ag Literacy Teaches Youth Where Their Food and Fiber Comes From
- Food Safety Questions About Commercially-Canned Food
- 4-Ingredient Guacamole Recipe
- Children Act Fast, So Do Accidents
- Should I Test My Home for Radon?
- FREE Community Tax Preparation for Low- and Moderate-Income Individuals and Families
- AARP Driver Safety Program, March 13
- DriftWatch Specialty Crop Site Registry
- Soil Temperature Trends for Planting
- 2015 Vegetable All America Selections
- Outwitting Wildlife at Bird Feeders – Part II
- 4-H & Youth News, Events and more
- …. and much more
If you don’t live in Lancaster County, Nebraska, please make sure to check out your local extension office too. Your extension office has resources for you, your family and community. To find your local office, visit http://lancaster.unl.edu/office/locate.shtml (nationwide listing).
Have a great day!!
Responsive. Innovative. Trusted.
Nebraska Extension provides research-based information to help you make informed decisions any time, any place, anywhere –
Is your home, apartment, or daycare healthy for your family? Join us March 5, 2015 for this free seminar. http://lancaster.unl.edu/nebline/2015/mar15/NeblineMar15p3.pdf