In the September issue of the NEBLINE newsletter, Extension Educator Lorene Bartos shared information and resources to help our families prepare for emergencies and natural disaster situations. We learned how to “Be Informed” | “Make a Plan” | “Make a Kit” | “Get Involved”.
This month, Nebraska’s First Dog, “Snickers,” has also been active in helping pet parents think ahead in the event of an emergency/natural disaster. Your kit should have all the items needed to care for your individual pet. A pet lizard will need different survival items in a kit than for a bird or hamster. Here are some of the items Snickers suggests putting in a kit for your pet dog/cat:
- 3-7 day supply pet food in a watertight container.
- 3-7 day supply of water just for your pet.
- Any pet medicines.
- Bowls for eating/drinking.
- A pet first aid kit (cotton bandage rolls, bandage tape, scissors, antibiotic ointment, flea/tick prevention, isopropyl alcohol, saline solution).
- Extra collar, leash, ID/rabies tag in case your pet loses anything in the shuffle.
- Your pet’s papers and any medical records.
- Your pet’s carrier – big enough to stand up in.
- Plastic bags, bleach/sanitary wipes, paper towels for any pet messes. If you have a cat, include litter and a litter box.
- A recent photo of your pet with your family so people know you belong with your pet in the event you are separated.
- Other: towel, blanket, treats, toys, blankets.
It’s also good idea to microchip your pet. During the chaos of a disaster, many pets are separated from their owners. If your pet has a microchip, it will be easier for officials to help return your pet to you. Check with your family veterinarian to learn more about microchips for pets.
As you work with your family to complete your preparedness plans this month, make sure to add a “pet kit” to your to-do list. Check out the links below for help and more information:
- Snickers’ Pre-PAW-edness Kit For Emergencies
- Gov. Heineman & First Lady Ganem Urge “Pet Pre-PAW-edness” First Puppy Snickers Encourages Emergency Kit & Plan
- Saving the Whole Family – FEMA Includes many different kinds of pets, including horses.
Have a great day!!
Responsive. Innovative. Trusted.
UNL Extension provides research-based information to help you make informed decisions any time, any place, anywhere – http://lancaster.unl.edu